Depression can cause enormous personal dissatisfaction, persistent feelings of sadness, debilitating anxiety, an empty feeling, despair, and loss of interest. It affects how people think, feel, and behave that can lead to a variety of emotional and physical problems. Once a person has been depressed, it tends to return.
Why does depression come back? It turns out that every time a person gets depressed, the connections in the brain between mood, thought, the body, and behavior get stronger, making it easier for depression to be triggered again. We can deliberately use the mind to change the brain for better.
• Focusing on what’s good rather than what’s bad.
• Letting the good become your positive experiences.
• Emphasize and intensify the good.
• Learning to think about yourself as good, loveable.
• Practice meditation to savor positive experiences.